Friday, April 11, 2008

Short Story: Faith

As I was walking the other afternoon, earbuds in place, listening to my worship music, enjoying the warm weather with G-d, I started thinking for the billionth time about Peter when he walked on water (Matthew 14). Whenever I ponder this topic, I dwell on it for awhile, trying to understand why Peter took his eyes off of J-sus; Why he didn't have more faith. I mean, he WAS one of J-sus' disciples! He walked with Him, talked with Him, trusted Him daily. Why did he stop believing all of a sudden? Why did he take his eyes off of J-sus?
As usual, my conclusion to discovering the answer came through prayer.
I said aloud, earbuds still in place, "G-d, why did Peter have such little faith? He knew You! Why did he start to sink?" Then another question came to mind--the same question I always wonder about eventually. I ask G-d, "Do I have little faith? I mean, I trust You with my life, my all, my friends, my family, me! Do I have that little of faith...?"
I decided to walk on water. Metaphorically speaking, at least.
As I was walking on the sidewalk of the condiminium I live in, mailboxes every few feet, curbs, random holes in the cement, I suddenly had one of my "brilliant" ideas. At first, the idea seemed ridiculous, but I am ridiculous, I remembered. So, after asking G-d's approval, I closed my eyes, still walking, earbuds still in place, and trusted that G-d wouldn't let me fall. I was pretty comfortable for about thirty seconds, and then all of a sudden my heart started beating faster, I started walking un-evenly, and I was afraid of running into a mailbox. So I opened my eyes and stopped walking.
Now, if that's not little faith, I don't know what is.
I looked around, realized I was perfectly fine in the middle of the sidewalk, far from the mailboxes, holes in the cement, rocks scattered about randomly, even.
Immediately I started apologizing to G-d for not trusting Him.
I, like Peter, took my eyes off of J-sus and watched the waves crash around each other.
We were both safe. We were both being ridiculous. And we both had little faith.
I decided to share my story of ridiculousness for any of you who question your faith. Now, while I can't answer for you directly, I would like to point out that we're all going to be tried, most likely more than once. We're going to be asked to "walk on water." And suddenly, most of us are going to begin sinking.
However, if you keep your eyes on J-sus, He will guide you.

3 comments:

leo509 said...

Great story! I liked the way you got the lesson across as well. Nice use of incorporating Peter's story with your own. Well done, Lilly :)

Anna said...

Thanks:) I feel special when intelligent people like you give me compliments. Lol.

Anonymous said...

This was very inspiring. Something I needed to read at the perfect time. Thank you for posting this! :) God Bless your heart.

PS If you don't mind, I'll repost this one ;)